Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Southern Living cookbook recipe #1

Today was the first day of my month long blogging through my Southern Living cookbook!  I decided to make Baked Potato Soup- something very fitting for the cold day we had today!  I can't complain though- we aren't getting the ton of snow many other states are getting this next couple of days! 
As I was making this- I decided I was going to report that this soup wasn't what I thought it was going to be and that I would never make it again.  But after my family had 3 bowls of it and said how much they loved it- I don't think I felt the same way!!  It was thinner than I thought it was supposed to be so I added about 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese plus it added some much needed flavor.

First, cook your potatoes and mash them

Second, melt 1/4 cup butter in your soup pot

Next,  chop an onion and saute it in the butter for medium heat until tender

Then pour  a 1/3 cup flour and stir it- I love how it tells you to stir til smooth.  How are chunks of onion and flour going to be smooth???  Oh well, just give it a good stir!



Now, you are going to pour in your half-and-half, milk, salt and pepper.  It's going to be nice and creamy!!

Now heat it til it's nice and hot and this is when I added the cheese for a little more flavor.

 Now you pour it in a bowl and sprinkle the rest of the cheese you didn't add plus the chopped bacon!

V really LOVED this soup!!

Miss H decided that scooping up the soup with her cookies was just delicious! 

Baked Potato Soup
5 large baking potatoes, baked
1/4 c. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 c. flour
1 quart half and half
3 c. milk
1 t. salt
1/4 t. ground white pepper
2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
8 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Peel potatoes, and coarsely mash with a fork.
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, and saute until tender.  Add flour, stirring until smooth.  Stir in potatoes, half-and-half, and next 3 ingredients; cook over low hear until thoroughly heated.  Top each serving evenly with cheese and bacon.

Enjoy!!

0 comments: