Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cooking my way through Southern Living

Well, last night I made these cookies but I was too tired to blog it.  Honestly, I did it yesterday!!  :)  I didn't skip a day!  What I was doing instead of blogging was.......  drumroll please..... ordering plane tickets for my mom, sister, niece and aunt to come and visit us!!!!!!  I still have to pinch myself- I CAN'T believe they are coming down!  Hopefully we can show them some real Arkansas winter weather!  :)  Not this cold stuff- brrrr.  Although, it is warmer than what they have right now though.

So, here is my cookies.  I liked them but they are a little flatter than I like my chocolate chip cookies to be.  I don't know why but they are a little different than what I normally make.  I have to say- by the way they are disappearing from the cookie jar- my family doesn't care if they are flat or not!!  :)

Nutty Oatmeal-Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Beat the butter and sugars

Add the eggs and vanilla
I ran out of vanilla and put a little lemon and orange in there.  V tasted the cookies and said, "I taste lemon and orange!!"  This girl is good- Chad does say that she makes the best choc. chip cookies!!!  I think she "has it" when it comes to baking.  Be still my beating heart.  :)

Blend together the chopped oats (oops, I forgot to take a picture!) and dry ingredients.

Stir in the chocolate (I used chocolate chunks instead of chopped candy bar)- it's easier!!

Put them on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes or so (a little longer than it calls for.) 

Mmmm, pour yourself a glass of milk and go dipping!!

Nutty Oatmeal-Chocolate Chunk Cookies
2 1/2 c. uncooked regular oats
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 T. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
3 (1.55 oz) milk chocolate candy bars, chopped  (or a bag of chocolate chunks)
1 c. chopped pecans

Process oats in a food processor until ground (I used my handy dandy Magic Bullet!!)
Beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla, beat until blended.
Combine ground oats, flour and next 3 ingredients.  Add to butter mixture, beating until blended.  Stir in chocolate pieces and pecans.  ( I didn't add the pecans but the oats made them a little crunchy!)
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes (mine took 12 minutes) or until golden brown.  Remove to wire racks to cool. 

Enjoy!!

0 comments: