Saturday, March 5, 2011

My first 5K!!

Last fall I decided to do 2 new things- blog and run a 5K. Well, I started the blog right way and love doing it.  This morning I completed #2 on my list- I ran my first 5K!!
This morning I woke up at 5:30 am to the sound of rain.  Two things about me my family knows- #1- I hate to be wet.  (For that reason I really do not like swimming/waterparks, being in the rain, etc).  #2- I hate being cold.  It was 50 degrees, very windy and raining.  YUCK!!
Chad told me as I was getting ready to go that he could just take a few pics of me in the garage, I could do a couple laps around the block and I never even have to go!!  Sounded good to me!  :)
Well, we got there,they dropped me off and went in search of a parking spot.  I followed the crowd of people walking, dressed in all different clothing (some in shorts or pants, shirts or coats-  I guess some people are warmer than others!) and made my to the starting line.  As I got closer, I heard loud music, people talking and I started crying.  Wow.  Didn't expect that!  But it was an amazing feeling to be a part of something this big with so many people.  There was over 1000 people running this with me!  Suddenly, I was really glad I was there. 

I got to the starting area and I saw the 1 other person I knew running this besides myself!  I couldn't believe it!  It was my friend Jamie from church and her family.  Thank You Lord! 
As I was waiting there, I suddenly had to go to the bathroom.  I tried so hard not to drink much that morning but apparently I didn't do so well!  I was thinking that I was going to be using the porta potties but I noticed a hotel behind me with many runners and families waiting in there!  So, I went in there and used the beautiful bathroom, plus it was warm!  Thank You Lord, again!!  I HATE porta potties!!
Right before the race was to start- my family made it to see me off!  I was so surprised and excited that I yelled out excitedly, "they're here!!".  I got a few looks from people!  :)

Finally, we all counted down from 10 and we were off! 
What an amazing feeling to be part of this.  It was a real slow start.  With so many people, it was like a line of cars.  The first one moves, the second one goes after a little bit, and so on.  Jamie and I were in the middle and I was a little impatient to get going!  But eventually we did go.  I lost her pretty early on- she was a faster runner than me.  So, I just concentrated on keeping a good pace and staying out of the way of others.  Once we got a little ways in, the crowd thinned out and it was easier to run. About a 1/2 mile in, I saw my family and they were yelling, "go mom!  You can do it!".  I started crying agan!  But it sure gave me a push to keep going!  I ran almost the whole time- something I didn't think I would be able to do.  I thought to myself, "if I could do this, I could do anythig!  The sky's the limit!!"  I didn't listen to my ipod and I was glad I didn't.  I enjoyed looking around, praying and just "being there". 

This is what I saw when I neared the finish line.  What a welcome sight!!!!

I was so close.  I was yelling to my family in excitement and almost crying again.  I was almost done!
As I neared the finish line, the time said 37:56.  Suddenly, I had the strong desire to finish at 38 minutes.  So, I gave it everything I had! I was limping because my knee was KILLING me but running faster than I ever have!  I have no idea where that surge of energy came from- I certainly didn't have it minutes before but
I had a goal and I was going to accomplish it!  I'm not sure if it was 38:00 or 38:01 but I did it!!!!!!  What a feeling to cross the finish line and hear your name called out!

If you look closely, you can see yellow in the middle- that's me!  Thanks, Chad for snapping this picture!
I cried again (yes, for the third time!!) and was shaking and was incredibly sore. After you finish, you have to untie the chip from your shoe and hand it in, then you receive your medal and then they hand you a cup of water.  It was amazing!  Then you continue on and they hand you bananas, apples and ho ho's.  Then I went in search of my family. 
As soon as I found them, I started crying and saying, "I did it!".  That's when Chad took this picture. 

Then V saw me and gave me a hug and I cried on her. 

I have the most amazing family.  Thank You, Lord!!!

Chad looks at this picture and likes to say he ran it with me.  Ok, works for me! 
(but he really didn't) :)

3 comments:

floofie said...

Good work Poopsie! It makes me excited for you (and laugh because you are such a hoot). You did it!

Traci said...

Way to go Sheri! That is awesome. Sounds like you are really enjoying life in Arkansas. So happy for you. You are thought of often here in St. Paul. :)

Princess Poopsie said...

Thanks Sara! Yep-I actually did it!! Traci- thanks! Yes, I am loving it down here but miss many back in MN. I thought of you often about your marathon- I have NO idea how you did it. I totally admire you for it though!! Maybe many many years down the road- I might try it. :) Who knows!