Saturday, November 13, 2010

A sweet tooth continued

V loves to have a snack after she comes home from school- she says she is SO hungry!  So I like to have a snack waiting for her but sometimes I'm not on top of it as I would like to be as far as having something homemade.  Yesterday after I picked her up I asked her if she would like some muffins.  She said YES so as soon as we got in the house I got right to work and made some for her!  Of course I went to my favorite cookbook- yep, you guessed it- 'The Pioneer Woman Cooks'!!!!!  Someday I have got to meet that woman. 
Which reminds me- want to take a trip with me to a blast from the past?  Well I hope so because we are goin' there! I always had a dream of going to a taping of the Oprah show.  I would call and call and never get through for tickets.  My dad lives in Chicago so I got the bright idea of asking him to try and call also.  Lo and behold- he got through right away!!!!! WHAT'S up with that???  Oh well, I didn't care at that point.  He GOT ME TICKETS!  For those of you who know me well, you can just imagine how loud I screamed when he told me that.  (My sister nicknamed me "the excinator"- I tend to get a LITTLE excited about things!)  Oh My Goodness- I was going to the Oprah show!!!!!  My sister, bless her heart, was living in Ohio at the time and she met me there so we went together.  It was a dream come true.  But not for my sister though-  thankfully she put up with me.  M my oh my- do we have stories to tell from that trip!  Anyway, back to my point- I always wanted to meet Oprah and thank the Lord it happened.  So, now I have to work on meeting Ree Drummond.  Oh, I can't wait to blog about when that happens!!! 
Ok, let's get back to V and her muffins.  So, I got out my fav cookbook and went to work!  I promise you will like these as much as we did- I hope you try them out!  I have made these out of my Betty Crocker cookbook before but I thought I would try hers.  I should compare the two recipes to see if they are different- maybe someday I will.  Anyhoo- here it is.

French Breakfast Puffs

3 c. flour
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. shortening
2 eggs
1 c. milk

Coating:
2 sticks butter (I used only 1 and had plenty!)
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 t. cinnamon




Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease 12 muffin cups.  Then, in a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.  Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening.

Now add the eggs and mix again. 

Alternate adding 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/3 of the milk to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.


Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full.  Did you notice my square muffin pan- isn't it just so fun!  Chad and V gave it to me as a Christmas gift last year and I just love it!!
Now bake then for 20-25 minutes, until golden.  Remove the muffins from the pan and set aside.


Remember the 2 (gulp) sticks of butter??  Now you have to melt them in a bowl and stick your warm muffins in it.  Oh my- I just noticed I took a picture of 1 of the 3 round muffins I made- how funny is that!  Especially after I made a big deal of my square muffin pan!  I had more batter after filling up the squares so I put the extra in round muffin tins.  Too funny  :)


Now roll them around in a separate bowl filled with the delicious cinnamon/sugar mixture.  Mmm, that looks soooo good, doesn't it!!


Now while they are still warm, call a friend and invite them over.  Tell them you just made something delicious and you just had to share this moment with them!  They'll love you for it!  Enjoy!!


0 comments: