Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How about a little apple pie!!

Last week my mom suggested I make some healthier things on my blog and I happily informed her I already planned what I was going to make for this week and they just happened to be healthier!!  I guess they are healthier because they are filled with veggies and fruit!  :)
There is a cookbook called 'The Pioneer Woman Cooks' and my mom and I discovered it earlier this year on one of our trips to Barnes and Noble.  I had never heard of her but loved all the pictures in her cookbook!  Then I found out she had a blog and I fell in love with that too!  I finally bought it a couple of weeks ago and am fascinated by it.  It is filled with pictures that she took herself- pictures of her family, the ranch she lives on and all the recipes.  That is one requirement I have for purchasing a cookbook- it has to have lots of pictures!  I need to see what it looks like and that usually is the reason I will make something- if it looks good.  This recipe is called Flat Apple Pie- I haven't made many pies because the pie crust scares me.  Why- I do not know!!!  Especially after making this one- it is such a easy pie crust recipe to make and it was really good.

Perfect Pie Crust
If you have a perfected pie crust you already make- good for you!  If you don't- please try this one.  It is so easy and so good.  If I can make it- I know you can!!

3 c. flour
1 t. salt
1-1/2 c. shortening
1 egg
5 T. cold water
1 T. white vinegar



First, you need to combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. 

Next, add the shortening and use a pastry cutter or two forks ( I think the forks take longer but will
work fine if that's all you have) to work the shortening into the dry  mixture until it looks like little peas!   Next, lightly beat an egg and add it to the peas.  :)  Then add the cold water and vinegar and stir it just til combined.  


This recipe makes 2 pie crusts (lucky you!!) so take half of the dough out and put it in a plastic bag.  Roll it out into a nice circle and seal it up!  You can put it in the freezer for later.  Now, whenever you want to make a pie or chicken pot pie or whatever you want, take it out of the freezer and put it on the counter to thaw out- about 20 minutes.  Don't forget to add flour to your counter before you roll it out! 

Flat Apple Pie

Now, for the good stuff!!  Who doesn't love a good apple pie? 

First,  peel and slice your apples.  Since I LOVE baking, I am blessed to have many good kitchen gadgets.  Here is one of them that I just had to share with you!!  My mom bought my sister, herself and me one.  It's our handy dandy apple corer!  The trick is to put it in the bottom of the apple and 9 out of 10 times it perfectly cores the apple.  If you start from the top, it goes wherever it wants and usually it comes out the side of the apple and not the bottom!  Crazy!!!



Then put them in a large bowl and add flour, lemon juice, white and brown sugar and salt.  Now stir it all together and then put your face into the bowl and smell.  Mmm, doesn't that just smell soooo good!!  :)


Now roll out your pie crust onto a large baking sheet.  This recipe makes 2 pies but I only made one.  If you are following the recipe and make 2, place 1/2 your apples on one crust and the rest on the other one.  Now I know my edges aren't perfect but it doesn't matter- you're just going to fold it over on top of the apples!


Now fold over the edges so that it covers 2-3" of your delicious apples.  Remember- it doesn't have to be perfect!!  As you can see- mine isn't!!!!

Now dot the top of your pie with pats of butter.  Learn from my mistake- most of my butter ran down the sides of my pie and burnt on my baking sheet.  I think maybe if I tucked it more in the apple mixture it wouldn't have done that.  So I (not thinking) added more butter halfway through cooking and it was way too buttery!!  Also, I should've put foil on the baking sheet so there would not have been so much to clean up!  Oh well, live and learn.  :)  (it was still good though!)


Bake for 30-40 minutes until the filling is golden and bubbly and your crust is nicely browned.  If your crust is browning too quickly, cover the edges with foil (just like you would do on a regular pie).  She notes that if you are baking 2 pies, it's best to bake them separately or make sure you allow enough room between the racks in your oven to circulate the heat properly if baking at the same time.
Allow to cool slightly, and then slice into wedges with a pizza cutter.  If you want it a little sweeter, you can drizzle caramel sauce over it.  Chad was expecting it to be sweeter so maybe I will do that next time.  He did say he liked it though!!


Mmmmm.

Flat Apple Pie

Remember this makes 2 pies- half the ingred. if you are making one. 

5 peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
2 T. flour
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 recipe of Perfect Pie Crust (makes 2 crusts)
6 T. butter 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
In a large bowl, stir together apples,, flour, lemon juice, white and brown sugar and salt. 
Roll out two pie crusts into large cirlces.  Place the circles on large baking sheets.   Place half the apple mixture on one crust and the other half on the other crust.  Fold over the edge of each crust so that it covers 2-3 inches of the apple mixture. 
Dot the tops of the pies with chunks of butter.  Bake for 30-40 min. until the filling is golden and bubbly.  If the crust appears to brown too quickly, cover the edges with foil for the remainder of the baking time.
Allow to cool slightly, then slice into wedges with a pizza cutter.  Enjoy!



0 comments: