Saturday, November 13, 2010

A sweet tooth

This week I must have had a sweet tooth (at least more than normal)- my family got quite a few sweets!  On tuesday night, Chad had to work until 1am so the girls and I brought him dinner at work and that was kind of fun!  It was hard to say good-bye after dinner knowing he had to go back to work for the rest of the night- but Biggest Loser was on at home and it was calling us!  No, really, Chad's dinner break was over and I had a pile of dishes waiting for me in the kitchen. I had been in the kitchen for 3 hours baking dinner and a dessert, feeding the girls and then running off to bring it to Chad.  I still had a full night ahead of me of cleaning and putting them to bed!
For dinner, I made calzones out of 'The Pioneer Woman Cooks' cookbook.  Chad said we have been eating really good every night this week since I have been using it but I can't help it- I just LOVE that book!!  If you want the recipe for the calzones (which were REALLY good) email me and I will post it.  Ree Drummond calls them Cowboy Calzones because she said "they are really good to feed to hungry cowboys on their way out the door"! I figured it was a perfect thing to serve Chad while he sat in the truck with us eating his dinner!  :)
For dessert I made LIBBY'S Pumpkin Roll and it turned out really good.  It was pretty much my first time making something like this so I did learn a few things.  Like when it tells you to sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar- it means HEAVILY sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.  Otherwise the cake will stick to the towel and it will be harder to take it off!!  And when you are greasing your wax paper- make sure you grease up the sides of it too or the cake will stick to it!  Other than that- it was a "piece of cake" to make!!  Sorry- just couldn't pass that up.  :)

lIBBY'S Pumpkin Roll

1/4 c. powdered sugar (to sprinkle on the towel)
3/4 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves
1/4 t. salt
3 large eggs
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. LIBBY'S 100% pure pumpkin

Filling:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese at room temp.
1 c. powdered sugar, sifted
6 T. butter softened
1 t. vanilla
Powdered sugar (optional for decoration)

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease 15x10 jelly roll pan; line with wax paper.  Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar. See note above!  :)
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl.  Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick.  Beat in pumpkin.  Stir in flour mixture.  Spread evenly into prepared pan.
Bake for 13-15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched.  (If using a dark colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 min.)  Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel.  Carefully peel off paper.  Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end.  Cool on wire rack.
For filling: Beat cream cheese, 1 c. powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake.
Spread cream cheese mixture over cake.  Reroll cake.   Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at lease one hour.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.



Enjoy!!



0 comments: