Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I think the best pizza ever!!

My last post had a recipe out of 'The Pioneer Woman Cooks' cookbook and this next recipe is also!  It is such a delicious and easy pizza crust/pizza recipe- I really hope you copy this down and make it.  You won't be sorry you did!!!
I have to confess that V wasn't too particularly fond of potatoes on her pizza and before it went into the oven, Chad did stand over the pizza pan and ask rather hesitantly what kind of pizza he was going to be eating.  But after he ate it- he said it was really good.  I TOTALLY loved it but V didn't want me to make it again.  Oh well, next time I will make a pepperoni for her and this for Chad and I. I usually DO NOT make separate meals (I only make one dinner and that is what we are eating!) but in this case, I can easily make her a different pizza and that means more for us.  :)

Back in Mn, I used to buy pizza dough from Trader Joe's but since I don't have one here (sob sob) I will be making my own.  This is my first time and it was SO EASY and so delicious!!! 

Pizza Crust
Makes 2 pizza crusts

1 t. or 1/2 packet of dry yeast
4 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. salt
1/3 c. olive oil, plus more for drizzling




First, pour 1 1/2 c. warm water into a bowl and sprinkle the yeast over the water.  I usually avoided yeast because of this exact step- I was afraid of getting the water too warm but I didn't worry this time and it worked like a charm!  I was so impressed.  :)

Next, combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.  It was so easy to do it in my Kitchen Aid.  I was getting really excited at this point- I kept telling myself I was making real homemade pizza crust!!

With an electric mixer on low speed, drizzle in the olive oil until just incorporated. 

After you poured in the olive oil, you are supposed to gently stir your yeast/water mixture and now drizzle it into the flour/oil mixture; mix until the dough forms a ball.  (You can also mix by hand until the dough comes together.)

Now drizzle a little olive oil into a clean bowl.  Toss the ball of dough in the bowl and turn over to coat in oil.  Cover the bowl with a moist kitchen towel and set in a warm place for 1-2 hours, or cover in the fridge for up to 2 days.  (I put mine in the oven for 1 or so hours and it was perfect!)  DON'T TURN THE OVEN ON!!  :)


 I happened to be making this when V was in school and H was sitting at my feet in the kitchen.  Poor thing, she had a runny nose though- note the shiny nose!  Still, she looked so adorable.  

 Check this out- it raised exactly like it was supposed to!  I can't believe it did it!  :)  Since I used to be "yeast challenged"- this was quite a big deal.  And as a side note- my mom bakes many many of loaves of bread and rolls almost every Saturday so I didn't get my "yeast issues" from her!!  Love you Mom!!!!!!!


Now, for the "to die for" pizza.  This was unbelievable- I hope you try it!!!!!


Potato-Leek Pizza

!/2 recipe of Pizza Crust (see above)
Olive oil
Salt
6 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1" pieces
3 leeks, rinsed well to remove grit and thinly sliced  (I forgot to buy them so I used an onion, and fried it up in a little bit of bacon grease and added some salt and sugar- soooo good)
5 small red or Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced paper thin
1 lb. fresh mozzazrella cheese, sliced thin
4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled  ( I didn't use it and it was excellent but if you like it- go ahead!)
Grated parmesean cheese
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. 
Prepare the pizza crust and drizzle lightly with olive oil.  Sprinkle lightly with salt. 
Begin by placing the bacon in a skillet over med. heat.  Fry the bacon until cooked but not crisp.  Note- The Pioneer Woman lives and works on a huge ranch and gets way more excercise than I do! I, in turn, do not. I may get my 30 min. a day in walking or running but that's pretty much it!  :)   So, in order to cut down on the grease and fat, I baked my bacon in the oven on a rack and just used a little of the bacon grease to fry the onions- for added flavor.  You may do it however you want! 
Remove the bacon and set aside.  Pour off most of the grease.  Do not clean the skillet.  Return the skillet to the stove and turn the heat to medium-low.  Add the leeks to the pan (or onions) and saute over med-low heat until soft, about 3 minutes.  Remove from the heat and set aside. 


Using a sharp knife or mandoline, slice the potatoes very thin.  You'll need to do this just before you need them, as the potatoes will brown very quickly.



Arrange the potatoes in a single layer all over the crust, slightly overlapping the edges.  I remember eating potato pizza at the Minnesota State Fair and really liked it so I was eager to try this recipe!  Sprinkle the potatoes lightly with salt, then lay the mozzarella slices in a single layer on top of the potatoes.




Place the leeks (or onions) on top of the cheese.  The flavor of the leeks (or onions) sauteed in bacon grease is not to be believed!



Next,sprinkle the fried bacon pieces over the top.  Followed by a generous addition of crumbled goat cheese (if using) and grated Parmesean, and a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.



Bake for 8-11 minutes, until the edges of the crust are golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.  We tried it right after it came out of the oven but when we went back for seconds about 10  minutes later- the flavors were even more intensely delicious.  I would suggest waiting the 10 minutes or so- you won't be sorry you did!!!!  Please, please try this recipe.  It is sooooo good.  Did I already say that?  :D  Enjoy!!!!!


Ok, this is a pretty lame picture of this pizza but while I was trying to take pictures, Chad was calling to me from the table "can you please just stop taking pictures and come over here so we can eat!".  So, this is the only picture I took and then went to eat.  Gotta love "em!!!


0 comments: