Thursday, May 3, 2012

"A Day Off"

First, let me start this off by saying I am feeling some guilt.  Come on, I know some of you moms have it!  You love your kids more than life itself but sometimes when you can sneak away by yourself and you LOVE it, there is a little bit of mommy guilt hanging around.  Well, let me say that I am feeling guilty even writing about this!
Today I volunteered to help at V's school at an event called Track Attack.  It was held at the high school and I had an hour shift at the concession stand handing out sno cones, coke (the southern term for pop, haha)and popcorn.  The kids (K-6th) grade had fun activities outside where it was HOT HOT HOT!!!  At least I was in a covered building with 3 fans on us moms who were volunteering to keep us cool! 

Here is my precious V at
Track Attack getting something to drink!

I didn't think it would be a good place to have H hanging out with me so I put her in the Mothers Day Out program at our church for the day- 9am-2pm.  The only other time I brought her there for "school" was when I had my bladder surgery last Oct.  So I played it up real big all week- I told her she was going to school just like V does every day!  She was going to play, have a snack, eat her lunch and nap.  Then mommy was going to pick her up!
One of the good things was that it was at our church and her "school" was in her SS room she goes to every Sunday! And she knew most of the teachers so there wasn't too much new that she would have to get used to.  It was just that it was a different routine and she wasn't with mommy all day. 
So, when I got there to pick her up I was so excited!  I hadn't seen her since 9 this morning and the hug she gave me when I saw her was so precious. She was sitting there in a diaper, shirt and socks.  Hmmm, I thought!  Miss Shannon (her teacher) explained to me that she was dry all day (yes, she refuses to potty train, still) and she thinks she just went all at once and soaked through her shorts!   I didn't bring an extra pair of shorts because we never have that problem at home but today her day was all different! And H refused to  wear the extra pair of pants Miss Shannon gave her to wear.  Also, she refused to eat her lunch because she said "I eat lunch at home".  And she also refused to nap because she told everyone "I nap at home".  Soooo, I'm thinking a bit of a change in her routine might do her some good!  :) 
I did notice that she was a bit sillier after I picked her up and after we came home she also seemed a little bit "older" in her talking (if that makes any sense).  It seemed like she "grew up" a little bit in the day I didn't share with her!  So, all in all, I think it was a great experience for her.  I asked her if she wanted to go back tomorrow and she said NO with a wild shake of her head!   I guess one day was enough.   haha
So, here's where the guilt came in.  I actually enjoyed myself and recharged my "batteries" a bit!  I enjoyed myself!!  Am I supposed to be able to say that?  Day in and day out, it's H and me.  We have the same routine- Mickey Mouse in the morning, cleaning, playing, walks outside, lunch together and then it's her nap time, I wake her up from her nap and we pick up V from school, play with V, watch a little tv, supper and then whatever our evening brings us- soccer, fun time, whatever!  And Monday we go to Barnes and Noble storytime and Wednesday we have library storytime.  Every. Week.  The. Same.  Don't get me wrong- I love me a good routine but very rarely do I/we do anything different.  So, when she was gone from me all day and I had "Sheri time" from 11:30 until 1:45 when I picked her up- it was very very nice.  And relaxing.  Wow. Then I would look in the backseat at her empty carseat and feel a twinge of sadness.  But then I would remember I was going to pick her up shortly and I could enjoy myself.  It was ok!  So, I went to Panera, enjoyed a delicious and quiet lunch and even got to see my neighbor and her daughter there!   Then, I went to Barnes and Noble and read magazines for an hour.  Ahhh, that's a perfect relaxing 2 hours for me.  I felt so much better!  So, mommy guilt aside, it was a wonderful "day off"!


Here she is excited to eat her lunch...at home!
I bet she was one hungry girl- it was 2 hours
past her lunchtime!!



Hmmm, I wonder when I should plan
another day to myself?!?
Especially before the baby comes! 

I'm sure you are so excited to see what we've
done this week so here ya go!  Just for you.  :)

Lately, I have had H help me more in the kitchen making
dinner and she loves it!!

Here she is reading the recipe!   :)
She has turned into quite a picky eater the last
couple months so I thought that if she helped me
make dinner, she might be more interested
in eating it.  Well, not this meal.  I couldn't even
get her to eat a bite!  Oh, she put a bite in her mouth
after 30 minutes but 10 minutes later she spit it out. 
Oh my, I need some help with this one!

H is playing V's doctor- she is checking her for a fever.

Here she is putting a "stethescope" in her ears.

V and I have devotions every morning together
 during breakfast and this morning H woke up
and enjoyed it with us.  I do feel the need to
make sure you know this wasn't during our
devotions- this is snuggle time with her little
sister.  I promise she looks way more interested
when we are having our devotions!

Last night during dinner, V announced to me
that she needed to make ice cream and cookies
for school tomorrow.  Ummm, thanks V for
the heads up a few hours before bedtime!
So, she enlisted her little sister's help for the cookies!
(I ended up making the ice cream. And eating a little.  Mmmmm)

And here is the strawberry pie I made for dessert
last night.  It was so good!


Fresh Strawberry Pie
recipe from the cookbook- 'Southern Plate' by Christy Jordan  (My new favorite cookbook and she also has a blog!)

1 c. sugar
3 heaping T. cornstarch
3 T. strawberry gelatin mix
1 c. water
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
1 pie crust, cooked and cooled (store bought or mix-in the pan crust- recipe below)

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and dry gelatin and stir well.  Add the water  and cook  over medium-high heat until thick, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.  Set aside and let cool.
Arrange the strawberries over the pie crust.  When the filling has cooled, pour it over the strawberries and chill the pie until ready to serve.  Serve with whipped cream.

Mix in the pan crust:
1-1/2 c. flour
1 t. salt
1-1/2 t. sugar
2 T. milk
1/2 c. oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a pie pan.  Slowly add the milk and oil. Mix well with a fork and pat out to fit the pan.  Bake until browned, about 10 minutes.
Yield- 1 pie crust

I made the pie crust because it seemed easy and quick.  I liked it with the pie but when I tried a piece without the strawberries on it, it was a bit too salty.  I don't know if I'd put in less salt or maybe I will look  online for  similar pie crust recipes.  Otherwise, I thought it was very good. And my family did too!

Especially H!


Well, there ya have it!
 
Go and make your family this delicious and easy pie and enjoy!

0 comments: