Friday, December 17, 2010

My new favorite Christmas treat

My cousin Lisa posted this recipe from allrecipes.com for Layered Peppermint Bark on her facebook the other day and I told her I wasn't going to make this because I have no self control when it comes this delicious stuff!!!  Well, I lied.  I ended up making this last night- ONLY to give to V's teachers for Christmas gifts.  Unfortunately, there is half the recipe left over and I have to look at it in my kitchen and tell myself no all the time.  Just because I tell myself no, doesn't mean I do what I tell myself!!  :)  Isn't that just terrible!! Now I am wondering who I can bring it to it's out of my house!

Anyway, thanks for letting me "confess" that.  Now I feel better! :)



Here are my girls with their chocolate Advent calendar!  Hannah asks for that chocolate all day- she doesn't understand that she only gets one a day!!  Now I wonder what we are going to after Christmas when it's all gone!

Hannah is talking to grandpa.  Isn't she just so cute!  :)


My little Diva!


Layered Peppermint Bark

Line a 9x12 inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper.


Melt half of the white chocolate in the top of a double boiler over just barely simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching. 

Spread the white chocolate into the prepared pan.



Sprinkle 1/4 of the crushed peppermints evenly over the white chocolate.  Chill until firm, about 15 minutes.


Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate, heavy cream and peppermint extract together in the top of a double boiler over just barely simmering water, stirring frequently, until just melted.  Quickly pour the chocolate layer over the chilled white chocolate layer; spread evenly.  Chill until firm, about 20 minutes.


Meanwhile, melt the remaining white chocolate layer.  Spread quickly over the chilled bark.  Sprinkle with the remaining peppermint pieces; chill until firm, about 20 minutes.  Cut or break into small pieces to serve!  Enjoy!!



Mmmmm.  Makes me want to go in the frig and get a piece.  "Sheri, do NOT do it!!!"



And with the leftover peppermint candy, give it to your kids to enjoy!!!


 Layered Peppermint Bark

20 oz. white chocolate, coarsly chopped, divided
30 peppermint candies, crushed, divided
10 oz. dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 T. heavy cream
1 t. peppermint extract

Line a 9x12 inch baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. 
Melt 1/2 of the white chocolate in the top of a double boiler over just barely simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching.  Spread the white chocolate into the prepared pan.  Sprinkle 1/4 of the crushed peppermints evenly over white chocolate.  Chill until firm, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate, heavy cream and peppermint extract together in the top of a double boiler over just barely simmering water, stirring frequently, until just melted.  Quickly pour the chocolate layer over the chilled white chocolate layer; spread evenly.  Chill until firm, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining white chocolate in the top of a double boiler, stirring frequently, until just melted.  Spread quickly over the chilled bark.  Sprinkle with the remaining peppermint pieces; chill until firm, about 20 minutes.  Cut or bread into small pieces to serve.

This recipe is really easy to make and very delicious to eat.  I hope you enjoy it too!!



0 comments: