Monday, October 18, 2010

My first attempt at cinnamon rolls!

Last saturday I had the great idea to make cinnamon rolls- I had seen the recipe in my Southern Living magazine and I knew Chad was going to be at my mom's house and she makes the best cinnamon rolls!  So, I thought I better "get on the ball" and give him something tasty.  I think I tried making them maybe once before but I really don't remember how they turned out so I am calling this my first attempt!  :)

In my excitement I forgot to take pics of the first steps of making them!  And I have to something to confess-  I cheated and used the Pillsbury Hot Roll mix instead of starting from "scratch".  I have always been "scared" of using yeast but I do suppose there is nothing to be scared of!  I am afraid I am going to "kill" it but it was so easy using the yeast in this mix- I now think I can do it!!  Here I rolled out my dough, spread butter on it and sprinkled it (rather heavily) with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Looks so good!

Rolling it up was actually quite fun!  I was feeling quite "professional"!!


Here it is all rolled up!  I cut it in half and cut each half in 6 pieces. 
They tell you to place the cut side down which I never get!  Except for the end pieces, each side is a cut side!  Ok, all you knowledgeble bakers out there- why do they tell us that???  Doesn't this look so delicious?  I love raw bread dough so this looks really good to me.  Now I stuck them in the oven and covered them to let them rise.


Here they are- doubled in size!  I was feeling quite proud at this point- I didn't kill the yeast and it worked!!


All baked and ready to frost!  Mmmmm, frosting.  For those who know me well, that is one of my greatest food weaknesses.  I LOVE cake with buttercream frosting and I love to eat as much frosting as possible.  So not good for me but SO good to eat!!


Ok, I am so ready to dig in.  If my memory serves me correct (which it does)- I did!!  :)  And so did Chad and Victoria.  It was actually a really fun family night- we were watching the new Karate Kid movie and eating fresh, just out of the oven cinnamon rolls.  What a happy memory :)  


Cinnamon Rolls
1 (16 oz) pkg. hot roll mix
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 T. milk

  Prepare hot roll mix as directed on back of pkg, let dough stand 5 minutes.  Roll dough into a 15x10 rectangle, spread with softened butter.  Stir together brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter.  Roll up tightly, starting at one long end; cut into 12 slices.  Place rolls, cut sides down, in a lightly greased 12" cast-iron skillet or 9x13 pan.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and a towel; let rise in a warm place free from drafts, 30 min. or until doubled in bulk. 
Preheat oven to 375.  Uncover rolls, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until center rolls are golden brown and done. 
Let cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.  Stir together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla; drizzle over rolls.
   Enjoy!!

0 comments: