Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Delicious lemon tea bread!

This morning I couldn't wait to bake something but I wasn't sure what!  So after Hannah and I dropped V off at school, we sat down on the floor to play and look through my cookbook.  I chose my new Southern Living cookbook- Classic Southern Desserts.  With a name like that, you know it's going to be good!!  And of course, I had to stop quite frequently to play with H, for she wasn't too thrilled that I was looking at a book and not at her!  But at last, I found something I had the ingredients for and sounded good.  Two things of food I love- frosting and orange/lemon flavored things.  Especially breads.  Mmmm, my mouth waters just thinking about it! My favorite thing to get at Starbucks is the Iced Lemon Loaf with a Caramel Macchiato.  Oooh, that sounds good!  Now go make this, grab a cup of coffee, put your feet up and take a moment for yourself!  You'll be so glad you did!

Lemon Tea Bread




First, beat your softened butter until creamy.  Doesn't that just look so purty!!

Next, add your sugar and eggs. 



Mix up your dry ingredients.

Now, you add to the creamed mixture flour and milk, alternating between both.




Doesn't this lemon look just divine!  I just love what a little lemon zest can do to your baked goods. 


Pop it in the oven and bake it for about an hour!  Let it cool for 10 min. in the pan and then take it out.  You always wonder when you bake breads whether you greased it good enough and will it come out in 1 piece.  This came out beautifully and looked and smelled delicious!!

Mix up your icing ingredients and pour it over the top.  I like the way it drips down the sides but I love the way it coats the top way more.  The more icing the better, I always say!  :)




Mmmm, I thought it was divine and V wholeheartedly agreed with me!


Lemon Tea Bread

1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. milk
2 T. lemon zest, divided
1 c. powdered sugar
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  Beat softened butter at med. speed until creamy.  Gradually add 1 c. of sugar,
beating until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.

Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating at low speed just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Stir in 1 T. lemon zest.  Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8x4 pan.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center  comes out clean.  Let cool in pan 10 minutes.  Remove from pan to a wire rack, and cool completely.

Stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth; spoon over top of bread, letting excess drip down sides.  Stir together remaining 1 T. lemon zest and 1 T. granulated  sugar; sprinkle on top of bread.

Enjoy!!








0 comments: