Saturday, July 2, 2011

Homemade jam and mommy/daughter time

I have been trying to come up with some fun things for the girls and I to do together during our summer vacation and I think I picked a good one this time!  V and I made freezer strawberry jam the other day and had such fun doing it. Also, each time we eat it on our pb&j sandwiches or homemade rolls, we think about the time we spent together making it and talk about the memories we made together!

Rinse your berries- you will need
2 cups of finely crushed strawberries.


Pour (gulp) 4 cups of sugar on top
of them and let them sit for 20 minutes.
You are supposed to crush them (I did it with
a potato masher) first
but I forgot so I did it after they sat for
the 20 min. Oh well.  :)

During that 20 min. stir them
occasionally.
Don't forget to wash and fully dry your
jars and lids!!

Everyone needs a V to help
them- how did I get so blessed?!?!?

Ok, I forgot to take a few pics!
Before you get to this step, you are
 supposed to combine the pectin and water
in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Boil for
1 minute, stirring constantly.  Then add this to
the fruit mixture and stir for 3 minutes.
Now, you will pour them into your
jam jars!

Look what we made!!!!

I am one proud momma!!!  :)


Strawberry Jam
2 c. finely crushed strawberries
4 c. sugar
1 pkg. powdered pectin
3/4 c. water
Combine strawberries, lemon juice (if needed) and sugar.  Let stand about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
Combine pectin and water in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add pectin to fruit mixture; stir 3 minutes. 
Ladle jam into jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Adjust 2 piece caps.
Let stand at room temperature until set, up to 24 hours.
Label and freeze. 
Yield- about 6 half pints
Enjoy!!

These are my homemade rolls that I make
frequently.  H LOVES to eat these by
themselves- with nothing on them.
This morning at breakfast I put some
jam on her roll for her to taste it.
You should've seen her face- she tasted
it and then all of a sudden, she smiled hugely
and said "Mmmmmmm!"
Too cute!!!











0 comments: