Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Homemade cereal bars- mmmm good!!

My family has been complaining recently that there has been no sweets in the house.  So, yesterday I made some delicious fruit cereal bars which were yummmy!!  H, V and I loved them but Chad thought I should've made something with chocolate. He came home from work, ate one and said "is this supposed to be our sweets?  Where's the chocolate chips?"  I so lovingly told him "well, if you want something sweet, you can make it yourself!"  I also told him I couldn't make something chocolatey because he ate the whole bag of chocolate chips over the past 3 days!! 

Rasberry Triangles

Mix together your dry ingredients

Now add the butter.  I used to use my
food processor to cut in butter but my dear
mom gave me the best tip.  She said to grate the
butter instead and it works awesome!  Thanks mom!!

Yes, that's butter!!  :)

Now mix the butter in.  I warn you- don't
try a bite of this or you'll want to eat it all up and
you won't have any for your bars!  :)

Now spread 3/4  of the mixture in the bottom of
the 9x13 pan and press it down.
Next you will spread jam over it and add the remaining
1/4 of the dry mixture on the top.  I took a picture
of the jam before I spread it around and it looked
absolutely gross.  I used blackberry jam so it looked
like black blobs all over.  If you saw it you
would thank me for sparing you.  ha!

Bake it for 35-40 minutes until it turns golden bown. 
Doesn't this look just delicious?!?

These are soooo good.  You won't
want to buy cereal bars again!


Raspberry Triangles
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking power
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 c.) cold butter, cut into chunks (or shred it)
1 c. old fashioned or quick oats
1 c. sweetened shredded coconut (optional) or
1.2 c. chopped walnuts
10 oz. jar raspberry jam

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Put flour, brown sugar, salt and baking pwder in the food processor, and pulse to combine.  (I just whisked it in a bowl).  Add the butter and process while you count to 20. (in the food processor)  The mixture shouldn't have any chunks of butter.
Dump the flour mixture in a mixing bowl.  Add the oats, and coconuts or walnuts (if using) and stir to combine.  Press about 3/4 of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.  Really mash it hard with clean hands.
Spread the raspberry jam in an even layer on top of the crust. Sprinkle the rest of the crumb mixture on top of the jam.
Bake 35-40 minutes, until the top is browned.  Let the dessert cool to room temperature before cutting tnto triangles.  Enjoy!!





 

0 comments: