Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Banana Snack Cake

I LOVE sweets. 
I wish I didn't love sweets as much as I do because they sure love my hips a little too much!!  Anyway, my husband always likes to have something sweet in the house (ok, I admit it's not always him) and I like to keep him happy.  :)  So the latest treat I made was one of my favorites and I thought I would share it with you.

Banana Snack Cake
1/2 c. shortening
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. mashed ripe bananas (2-3 medium)
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 c. buttermilk
FROSTING
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. butter
6 T. milk
2 1/2 -3 c. powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugars.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in bananas and vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
Pour into a greased 13x9 and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. 
For frosting:
Combine the brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.  Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. 
Frost the cooled cake and enjoy!!!

0 comments: