Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Happy 3rd birthday

Monday was a big day for 2 reasons-  first of all, it was Labor Day!  We enjoyed a nice day of working some and relaxing some and finished it off with steaks on the grill, baked potatoes and steamed cauliflower.  Yummy!!!
The second reason was that 3 years ago on Sept. 5 we bought Chad's "dream car"- a 1964 Volkswagon dune buggy!!  He has had wanted that car for a long time, looked for one on the internet for a whole year and finally found one through a friend for a price he was willing to pay!  I was so happy for him- for his dream to finally come true. 

This is right after we bought it and they were so
excited!!  Since we lived in Mn, it was really chilly in Sept!
A little chilly for a "convertible ride"!


Look at how cold V is but she is having so much fun!
We were on our way to my parents to show it to them.

Over the past 3 years- it has had it's share of fun with our family!


It has been at car shows.

It's been in a 4th of July parade!


It has taken kids (and American dolls) to church on Wed. nights!

It has been used as a "reading nook".  ha!



It's been known to give rides to many many people!

Chad is dreaming of the day when he can teach
our kids to drive it!

Chad must be telling H all the dreams he
has for his dune buggy!

Just so you know- H has never ridden in it in
her car seat.  It was just sitting there while we were
walking around the car show!!!  :)
Whenever we drive somewhere with it and the whole
family is along, you will always see my white Suburban
trailing along behind it carrying me and H! 

Chad loves to use it as a chick magnet!  hahaha!

It often goes to church!

It brought V to her first ever swim meet!!

We let H take her friends out in it for a spin around the block!!

Sometimes she even drives daddy and V around!


It even gets car washes in the backyard!

Lest you think it has been one big happy 3 years,
let me clue you in on the not so happy times.

Chad was driving down to camp (4 hours away) to
pick up V.  He only made it 2/3 of the way there
before the engine went kaput.  So Chad called me to
come and get him (remember now, he was a good 3
hours away!) so I packed up H (she was a baby) and
off we went.  V got dropped off and got to wait with him.
In the rain and the excessive August heat.  For. a. long. time.

So, I finally show up with a tow bar (that I had to
get from a friend which added LOTS of time to my
leaving) and I get there and it doesn't work.  So off to
town we go, find a uhaul place where we finally found
this tow thingy. 

Now, MANY hours later after Chad broke down,
we were finally on our way home towing the
beloved broken down dune buggy.

Chad got right to work in replacing the
engine.  He practically lived in the garage
every night after work taking the engine apart
and putting it back together.  I was so
proud of him!!

Instead of the engine being where it belonged-
it was on the top of the workbench!!

This spot was his "home away from home".


Check that new engine out!!
Way to go Chad!!!

Doesn't that look so awesome!?!
It looks really fast too!

He worked on this engine solidly for 2 1/2 months and
finally got it all put back together!  It looked awesome,
sounded awesome and he even took it around the block
and it drove awesome!!

So, after listening to him drive it around the block,
I was in the house and it was around 10 or 11 pm. 
I was just getting ready to go to bed and he was just putting
it back in the garage, revving it up a few last times.
All was well.
For about 5 minutes.
 
All of a sudden, I hear a HUGE crash and boom.
What in the world?????
I run outside to see this.....


I go in the garage and see this.....

Hmmm, what just happened here?!?!?
Chad was in shock.  I was in shock. 
I've never seen something like this before!

Apparently, when left in gear before with the old
"slow engine" you could start it up and it never went
anywhere.  Chad was a little surprised at how fast it
went when left in gear and started now with the new
"fast engine"!

Just one more view for all you folks! 

So, instead of going to bed we spent the next couple
of hours taking down the garage doors, panel
by panel, taking the cars out, and putting it back
up (heavy) panel by panel.


There, all back together!
I spent much of that time wishing a police officer
would drive by, ask what in the world we were
doing, and maybe offer to help!!  I also spent
that time looking into the neighbor's window
also wishing they might venture outside and
offer their condolances help too!

Ahh, will the fun never end?!?
Fast forward a little over a year to
Jan 2011.  Chad and V were driving to Wal Mart
and all of a sudden Chad discovered there was
no brakes.  NOT GOOD when coming up to
a stop light!!  He managed to stop and eventually
get home.  He knew better than to call me- I freaked
out after he told me and he was already home!!

This fix took a while because even though I
spent HOURS in that car bleeding the brakes
with my dear hubby listening to him say pump
three times, push down.  Pump three times,
push down.  Repeatedly.  It never worked.
So, it sat for a while and finally Chad got
everything fixed and done!
I love this guy!!  :)
(That story was a post in January titled "Random
musings for the end of January" if you want to read it.

I'm happy to report it is now back on the road
(after just getting fixed, again).  Last week
he noticed it was doing something not good
(wish I knew what it was and I could tell you)
but I DO know he had to get a new generator.
So, last saturday that's what he did most
of the day- replace it and now it is
back like new.  I should hope so- most of it
IS new!  :)

Well, there ya have it.  Happy 3rd birthday,
Pope family dune buggy.  Hope you have had
a wonderful time being part of our family.
Know without a doubt, that you are never
going to leave us.  Your dear father, Chad,
was asked multiple times to sell you,
one of the most recent, by a man who was ready
at the gas pump to trade his brand new camaro for
you.  Sadly Chad said "NO WAY!"  So, I guess
you are going to be with us for life. :)












 









































0 comments: